Thursday, March 26, 2009

May change jobs & shift

An opening for a receiving job opened up in my department this week. My drunk ass fuckin co-worker, Chris, got his drunk, smelly, shitty ass fired for continuously coming to work drunk. He has been warned enough times that the company fired his ass. So there's now an opening. I decided to put in for the job, mainly because I want to get onto 1st shift. The position doesn't involve a pay increase, due to the company's grade level pay scale having receiving lumped into warehouse, which is a grade 4. Since I'm already a Grade 4, there's no pay increase. Just more work & more responsibilities. I also would get my own e-mail account with the company, and that's not what I'd like, but my potential job would require it.
My job would involve labeling stock that comes to us from our Mexico plant, handle consignment, pull orders for parts to be assembled at our Mexico plant, load & unload (mainly unload trucks) trucks that come in with stock of some sort. I would be a backup for pulling orders for Pella Windows and handling the receiving papers that another co-worker handles. My hours would be 6:45am - 3:15pm Monday - Friday. I currently work from 2:45pm - 11:15pm Monday - Friday pulling shipping orders and loading trucks to pickup shipments. I even handle occasional deliveries in receiving too, when everyone in receiving went home for the day. Receiving only works 1st shift, while regular warehouse associates work 1st & 2nd shifts. The only reason there's a 3rd shift, is because there needs to be someone to clear the pack & label line. Otherwise, there wouldn't be anyone needed for 3rd shift in warehouse.
I'm nervous, but I hope I do get the job, as I want days, and be able to relax in the evenings. It would even allow me to go to Chicago in the evening hours during the week. I've missed a lot of events during the week, due to working 2nd shift at my current job since October 9, 2003. Also, except for a 6 week period in 2003, I've worked 2nd shift since September 12, 2002, when I left UPS for the last time to work at a salad dressing plant, and then a window parts company, then 2 other jobs before returning to my current job. Working there 3 years & 4 months as a temp, then 2 years & 1 month as an employee, I deserve to get this job, as I know some job duties.

I'll keep everyone posted on this.

No comments:

Post a Comment